Wednesday, November 7, 2007

How do you Get In the GAME?

I just read an article by Ryan Bretag called Get Off the Sidelines and Into the Game where he suggests that we as educators should try or have intimate experience in an activities before we ask our students to participate in a project or assignment. How often do we say to students do as I say, “not as I do”, create this project – “that I have never done myself”, read this paper / chapter / article “that I have only skimmed” . . . I know that throughout my earlier career I have been guilty of this. I know that when I do ask students to do things that have never experienced before I run into trouble – trouble with timeframes, project management, student learning, student frustration, even behavior and class management issues. The biggest problem I run across is the quality of student work and the relationship of the student product to my expectations and the ability for me to see that the student has mastered the standard being assessed through the project

If we as educators are going to use new Web 2.0 technologies and activities we must have experience using these technologies. Bretag’s bottom line (and I whole heartedly agree) is: if you want your students to BLOG then BLOG yourself – if you want to create a WIKI and collaboratively create an idea or project then get involved in the WIKI yourself – If Pod Casting is your thing then make sure you have some Pod Casts posted for student’s to listen to your voice and your ideas.

Let’s all Get Off the Sidelines and Into the Game!

This is my 2nd BLOG and by no means the quality that I aspire to – but an attempt all the same. My 1st was part of a technology training I participated in online over the summer (Library Evolution). I still have questions and fears about putting my written word to BLOG for all to see. However, I have always been a big believer in taking risks and stepping outside my comfort zone. This is how I learn - through trial and error. It was Thomas Edison who said, “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931). It sometimes takes me a few more tries than Edison, but I find that persistence is the key to success.


No comments: